Computing – Curriculum information

At St Mark’s we aim to provide a high-quality computing education which equips pupils to develop computational thinking and creativity to understand and change the world.

We  think of computing in these headings:

• Multimedia – using computers and online tools to communicate, collaborate and create.  We learn to combine, text, audio, video and animation creatively and effectively to enhance and communicate our learning.
  • Programming – developing our computational thinking to program a range of real and on-screen robots.  We use LOGO turtle programs, j2code  and Scratch.
  • Online – making the best use of the Internet and online tools.  We learn how to search for information more efficiently.  We use Google Apps for Education and j2e.com – both safe environments to explore, create, collaborate and contribute, for example by using j2e to blog and comment on our school website.
  • Data – how to collect and analyse data in a variety of forms.  We learn how to use mindmapping tools, branching databases,  how to create graphs and how to create online surveys.  We also learn about how networks work – how information travels from computer to computer around the world.
  • (e)Safety and (e)Behaviour – are aspects of safety and behaviour that we need to consider in this digital age.   These are taught in PSHE as well as in computing.  We learn how to keep ourselves and others safe and be good digital citizens.  We believe it is everyone’s responsibility at school and home to teach children how to be safe and behave well (whether or not they are using technology).

Computing Curriculum Map

Term 1 Term 2 Term 3 Term 4 Term 5 Term 6
Theme Tools for learning Programming 1 Multimedia 1 Programming 2 Data and networks Multimedia 2
Year 3 Introduction to our school network and j2e. How can I program robots and screen turtles? How do I use an art program? How do I format text? What is scratch? How do I combine instructions? How do I present data in graphs and charts? How do I create a topic minibook?
Year 4 How do we blog? How can I program in LOGO? How do I create a eBook in j2e? How do I make a quiz in Scratch? How do I create mindmaps and branching databases? How do I plan and create an animation?
Year 5 How do we blog? How can I program in LOGO? How do I record and edit sound in Audacity? How can program a racing game? How does information travel through networks? How do I create an interactive website?
Year 6 How do we blog? How can I program in LOGO? How to I create an effective presentation in Prezi? How do I design and make my own game in Scratch? How do I carry out a surveys using Google forms? How do I create a video tutorial?

For more information, lessons and links, visit Mr W’s ICT blog.